Did you know that a hot water heater is one of the highest energy-using appliances in a home? Generally, 20 percent of a home’s energy use comes from heating water for washing dishes, laundry, cooking, and bathing. Annually, this can add up to several hundred dollars to operate a conventional water heater. These “tank” water heaters waste a lot of energy keeping the water hot when you are not using it, wasting a lot of money. Fortunately, there is a better option – tankless water heaters.
How Does A Tankless Water Heater Work
While there are countless benefits to investing in a tankless water heater, you may be wondering how they work in comparison to a traditional tank unit. With a tankless system water is never held on to or stored. When you open the faucet and water flows into the heater, the sensor turns on the heating coils. The water is heated as it flows through the heat coils. When you close the faucet, the sensor shuts down the heating coils.
Benefits Of A Tankless Water Heater
- They work on-demand only heating water when it is needed, never storing the heated water
- They are smaller than “tank” water heaters and can be placed anywhere in the home, saving you valuable space. These units can be hung on the wall, inside or outside, depending on climate
- They are more energy-efficient than tank water heaters, as the water is heated almost immediately. Tankless units do not waste water, which can cut your costs tremendously
- You won’t have to worry about running out of hot water
- More appliances can be operated at the same time. If you want to take a shower while the laundry and dishwasher are running, you could do so.
- They pump out fresher, cleaner water in comparison to traditional water heaters which can build up rust inside the tank
A tankless unit can save you a substantial amount of money while providing additional convenience and comfort for your household. Like any appliance, regular water heater repair and maintenance will keep it working properly and increase its lifespan.
Get back control of your Boise home! Call Wickstrom Plumbing at (208) 505-9352 for professional tankless water heater services.